Tuesday 1 May 2012

We've got a new fox!

Last night, Channel 4 TV showed the first in a series of "live" programmes about urban foxes, called "Foxes Live" (dead original, yeah?)  Anyway, we had recorded the prog. and watched it whilst having our lunch today.  I'd had a roast chicken quarter, and, being on a diet, (??!!) I always (?!) take the skin off, and any other bits I'm not going to eat.

Lunch over, I took the handful of scraps down the back garden and threw them over the back fence, onto the greensward that lays between our row of bungalows and the tree-line behind us which runs the length of the main road, and screens it from view.

We feed a LOT of birds, both in our front and back gardens, and also "our" resident crows that live in the tree-line behind us.  They know when lunchtime is, so can often be seen waiting in the trees for any scraps I throw over!  Today was no exception, but I'd hardly got back into the kitchen, when one of the crows started up, "cawing" like mad!  This was so evidently either a distress call cum anger call, that I decided to go and take a look... ...

Peering over the back fence - and fully expecting to see one of the local cats (hiss! boo!) - I was astounded, but very pleased, to see the most beautiful ginger fox finishing off my chicken scraps!  She/He spotted me, even though there was only the top of my head peering over the fence, liked his lips, and as assuredly as any "top-dog", turned and loped into the cover of the tree-line!  Magnificent!  Real joy broke across my 'fizzog', and I came scampering in to tell " 'er indoors" the glad tidings!

Both Ann and I love foxes, and over the nearly 26 years we've been married and lived 'here', we've seen, and fed, many a fox that lopes along the greensward behind our bungalow - but rarely have we seen one in broad daylight (well, grey, drizzle, today!)

Only 2 weeks back our previous resident fox, an outstandingly handsome dog-fox, had been run over and killed on the main road not 50 yards from our back garden.  I'd been driving home from a meeting, and saw his poor, mutilated, body, in the middle of the dual carriageway, facing east, so he was probably trying to turn away from the fast-approaching motor, as he'd attempted crossing the road.  Saddened, I'd pulled over, and ran into the road to retrieve his body, onto the verge, before his beautiful dark-red coat, and handsome 'mask', was crushed further by the traffic.  So seeing this 'new' fox on the block is wonderful news!  I shall probably celebrate by buying another chicken quarter which I'll save especially for our new "Reynard"!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment